Barking and District Historical Society

Go to content

Main menu

80th Anniversary 1934-2014

Welcome to the website of the Barking and District Historical Society. In the following pages you will be able to find out about the Society. Latest  news, a brief history of the Society, Chairman's Report, our lecture programme, membership details, an equal opportunities statement, AGM Report, Treasurer's Report, Committee Members, links, some pictures and a few articles extracted from our newsletter  are also included.


Our e-mail address is barkinghistorical@hotmail.com


St. Margaret's Church, Barking
Watercolour Painted in 1954
by
J. Morrison Townley 1917-1995

Barking Station
The station was opened on the Tilbury line in 1854.

The booking hall was built 1959-1961 to the design of John Ward of British  Railways Eastern Region.  According to Pevsner it was "Erected to coincide with electrification of the railway, it is commensurately modern in outlook and unquestionably one of the best English stations of this date."



St. Margaret's Church, Barking
Nave and chancel probably date from 1200s



BARKING FOLLY.

A modern folly 7 metres high built in 2007 from architectural salvage including 9,000 reclaimed bricks,  including some from the old Central Library.  It was created by the muf design team and executed by bricklaying apprentices from Barking and Dagenham College. The design team intended it to be "a fragment of an imaginary lost part of Barking".


Barking Creek Image
by courtesy of
Tony Clifford

 
Back to content | Back to main menu