Barking and District Historical Society

Go to content

Main menu:

The First Members


The First Members of the
Barking & District Historical Society

Bill George

In 1994 Bert Lockwood wrote “A Happy Thought”: the Story of the Barking and District Historical Society 1934-1994. His 32 page booklet gives a fascinating account of the founding of the Society and our first 60 years. This short article lists our founding fathers and first members.

A few weeks ago, while rummaging on all fours in a junk shop in the beautiful old north-west Essex Market Town of Saffron Walden, I uncovered a slim bound volume of the
Transactions of the Barking & District Archaeological Society 1935-1939. The Barking & District Archaeological Society was formally constituted on 8 November 1934. The Report for 1935 informs us that our membership at 31 December 1935 consisted of 45 Annual Members and 2 Honorary Members. This had risen to 62 in 1937. Membership in 1937 included a Marquess, a lord, two knights and no less than four bishops and five librarians. Eleven members worked in Local Government and two in teaching. Ten ladies were members, 48 were men. Four are listed merely as librarians. Nineteen members gave Barking as their address; seven Ilford; six Dagenham; six also Goodmayes; two Colchester; two Chelmsford; two Loughton and one Cambridge. The Report for 1937 includes the following membership list on pages 38 and 39.



The Marquess of Salisbury, K.G., Hatfield House, Hatfield, Herts.


The Bishop of Durham, The Castle, Bishop Auckland.
The Bishop of Chelmsford, Bishopscourt, Chelmsford.
The Bishop of Barrow, The Rectory, Ulverston, Lancs.
The Bishop of Barking, Hillside, Albion Hill, Loughton.
Lord Bethell, Bushey House, Bushey, Herts.
Sir Thomas Bethell, 3 Elm Court, Temple, E.C.3.
Sir Westrow Hilse, The Rookery, Breamore, Hants.


Amies, Capt. W.H., Burleighs, Green Lane, Dagenham.
Anderson, W., 40, Dacres Road, Forest Hill, S.E.23.
Allen, F.W., Clerk to the Council, Civic Centre, Dagenham.
Baalham, Leslie, 78, Northwood Gardens, Ilford.
Benham, Sir W. Gurney, The Oaks, Lexden Road, Colchester.
*Brand, F.J., 26, Oakfield Road, Ilford.
Brown, L., 601, Romford Road, Forest Gate, E.7.
Bloomer, Rev. T., M.A., The Vicarage, Barking.
Chasmar, M.D., Gascoigne Senior School, Barking.
Chesterton, Mrs., 35 Redcliffe Gardens, Ilford.
Chown, C.H., Aldersbrook, Tomswood Road, Chigwell.
Crouch, Miss E.E., Oatlands, Longbridge Road, Barking.
Crouch, C.H., 32, Churchfields, Southy Woodford, E.18.
*Dawson, H.H., (Chairman, 1938-39), Clock House Chambers,
Frost, T., Director of Education, Centrall Hall Chambers, Barking.
Galley, Mrs. L., 40, Wilmington Gardens, Barking.
Glenny, G.W., J.P., The Gables, Monkhams Drive, Woodford Green.
Glenny, K., 53, East Street,Barking.
Goodinge, F., 46, Blythswood Road, Goodmayes.
Goodinge, B.E., 46, Blythswood Road, Goodmayes.
Grainger, J.D., Palmerston Road, E.7.
*Hewett, R.M., J.P., Roden Lodge, Barking.
Hewett, Mrs., Roden Lodge, Barking.
Hewett, D.S., Fresh Wharf, Highbridge Road, Barking.
Howe, W.A., St. Marys, Eleven Acre Rise, Trap’s Hill, Loughton.
*Hustwayte, C., 109, Mortlake Road, Ilford.
Hobbs, Miss D.M., 24, Castle View Gardens, Goodmayes.
Haler, P.J., Principal South-East Essex Technical College,
Longbridge Road, Dagenham.
*Jewers, S.A. (Hon. Secretary, 1938/39), Town Clerk, Town
Hall, Barking.
*Johnson, H.B., Curator Barking Museum, Eastbury Manor
House, Barking.
*Knowles, W., 179, Lathom Road, East Ham, E.6.
Laver, P.G., Ethelstow, St. Clare Drive, Colchester.
Leftley, Miss M., “Glemsford,” Longbridge Road, Barking.
Loftus, Col. E.A., M.A., Barking Abbey School, Barking.
*Lloyd, S.E. (Hon. Treasurer, 1938/39), 22 Kingswood Road,
Low, Miss E.A., 42, Wilmington Gardens, Barking.
Librarian, Barking Public Library, Ripple Road, Barking.
Librarian, Barking Branch Library, Woodward Road, Dagenham.
Librarian, Ilford Public Library.
Librarian, Leyton Public Library.
Lay, R.A., Borough Engineer, Town Hall, Barking.
Marriott, F.G., 51, Putney Hill, London, S.W.15.
Miller, Miss W.H., 249, Valence Avenue, Dagenham.
*Oxley, J.E. (Vice-Chairman, 1938/39), 155, Ashburton Avenue,
O’Leary, J.G., Branch Library, High Road, Chadwell Heath.
*Pack, E.G., 49, Wellwood Road, Goodmayes.
Pack, Mrs., 49, Wellwood Road, Goodmayes.
Pearce, A.G., “Alberta,” Manor Road, Dagenham.
Rait, Miss W.A., Felix House, Park Road, Chelmsford.
Roberts, C.N., Town Clerk, Town Hall, Ilford.
Sugden, J.T., 72, Highlands Road, Ilford.
Tindall, Rev. H.G., 49 Upney Lane, Barking.
Wathen, Rev. P.N., St. Barnabas Road, Cambridge.
Willett, R.D., North Street, Barking.

*Members of Committee, 1938/39.

Back to content | Back to main menu